University of Leeds Interdisciplinary Centre for Scientific Research in Music
specialises in multi- and inter-disciplinary research under the leadership of
Dr Kia Ng (www.kcng.org) who held a joint post as a Senior Lecturer in the School of Computing and School of Music.
ICSRiM involves members of staff from a number of Schools, including Computing, Music, Electronic & Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, Psychology, Physics, Sport & Exercise Sciences, and Earth & Environment, with external members from other academic institutions, freelance artists and industrial collaborators. A new physical centre was completed in the Music & ICSRiM building in January 2003, with major funding support from the HEFCE (Higher Education Funding Council for England), SRIF (Science Research Investment Fund) and the University.
Recent major events hosted by ICSRiM include:
ICSRiM provides a venue for research and development in a wide range of interdisciplinary research areas, including Creative Human-Computer Interactions; Interactive Gesture Music; Analysis, encoding and transcription of musical information; Virtual and Augmented instruments; and Music Psychology and its technological applications. Recent projects at ICSRiM include:
- AXMEDIS (Automating Production of Cross Media Content for Multichannel Distribution), supported by EC IST FP6, www.AXMEDIS.org;
- Gesture Controlled Audio System (COST 287, ConGAS), supported by EC COST-TIST (currently with over 12 European countries and Canada), www.cost287.org;
- Arts Council England supported Music via Motion (MvM, www.kcng.org/mvm) project, which uses Computer Vision techniques to track dancers and map the detected visual activities onto multimedia events. The project has received much media attention, and was featured in BBC News, Sky TV, and also appeared in many national and international newspapers, including the Financial Times and the New York Times. A recent 3D gesture interface system has also been featured by the BBC News, Technology, which is available online at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3873481.stm;
- Virtual ballet, an ongoing project aiming to model dance expressivity in virtual environment;
- Expressive Piano, a collaborative project which aims to explore the correlation between physical gesture and musical gesture using 3D motion tracking technology, musicology, music psychology, cognitive science and sport sciences;
- Interactive MUSICNETWORK, supported by EC IST FP5 (with
14 European partners), www.interactivemusicnetwork.org;
- UK Arts and Humanities Research Board (AHRB) supported Optical Handwritten Manuscript Analysis project, www.kcng.org/omr.
Dr Kia Ng,
Director of ICSRiM,
ICSRiM - University of Leeds,
School of Computing & School of Music,
Leeds LS2 9JT,